Martin Luther's Confession at Worms

"Since your most serene majesty and your high mightinesses require from me a clear, simple, and precise answer, I will give you one, and it is this: I cannot submit my faith either to the pope or to the councils, because it is clear as the day that they have frequently erred and contradicted each other. Unless therefore I am convinced by the testimony of Scripture or by the clearest reasoning, unless I am persuaded by means of the passages I have quoted, and unless they thus render my conscience bound by the word of God, I cannot and I will not retract, for it is unsafe for a Christian to speak against his conscience. Here I stand, I can do no other; may God help me. Amen." - Luther before the Diet of Worms.  In D'Aubigne's History of the Reformation, b. 7, ch. 8.  Quoted in Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, 160.

Make your voice heard.  Build your own blog or website.  Click here to learn how


I read this quotation found in chapter 8 of The Great Controversy by E. G. White.  My thought for contemplation and reflection:  "Where is the same spirit of courage and unreserved commitment to Christ and his truth among professed Christians today?  Where is my courage and commitment?"  All I can say is shame on us, shame on me.  I wonder what would the church look like if this same spirit of courage and reformation took hold of us.  How different things would be.  No more lukewarm Christianity made insipid by our flighty professions of piety and half-hearted accessions to the truth.  I challenge you, reader, to visit this chapter as I have and give your reaction to it.  God help us to be true and obedient to his whole word.


Concerning Christian Liberty 


Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther (Hendrickson Classic Biographies) 


History of the Reformation in the Sixteenth Century 


The (New, Illustrated) Great Controversy (Conflict Series, Vol. 5)


Make your voice heard.  Build your own blog or website.  Click here to learn how



Comments

Popular Posts